Daily Updates and Insights

UPDATE: 01/11/2012 - We are all still screwed. Other priorities created by the powerful elite have distracted our great nation from dealing with student loan debt in a responsible manner. Be sure to vote in 2012 - put progressives back in charge of the Congress and then scream like hell at them to get done what you want!


Monday, September 14, 2009

Education: Utility or Futility?

Before I finish the miserable story of How I Got Into This Mess I thought it might be prudent to take a moment out to acknowledge that there yet may be some purpose for all my hardship and the mistakes I have made over the last 20 years or so.

Many years ago I came across an unattributed quote framed with an image of a shipwreck that read:

"It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others."


While I certainly didn't think that was meant for me at the time, that's a very powerful message I must share with you all. It is my hope that anyone planning some sizable financial move, whether it's going back to college or buying a house or any other significant monetary burden, thinks long and clear before making the leap.

You can't undo financial mistakes in any easy fashion anymore. So be wise - seek counsel and get some good advice before acting.

This is not to say that going to college is a bad choice or that seeking a higher level degree is a mistake. But in light of what I have shared thus far I can make the following recommendation with a clear conscience. Any education, whether a trade school, associates degree, bachelor degree or graduate degree should only be undertaken, in my humble opinion, with a specific job and target salary in mind, especially if the education requires some financial loan situation. In this way you can at least move forward into your future with a solid plan as your foundation. By using a plan you may then get the greatest utility out of your education rather than the futile existence that I feel am leading at the present time.

In sum, I can not recommend some one leverage their future with a wishy-washy idea of what they might do when their degree is completed. I have learned this lesson the hard way, so please, please, please I beg you - learn from my shipwreck.



2 comments:

  1. I believe that this is the poster you saw:
    http://www.despair.com/mis24x30prin.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Yes that is the image and quote that I remember.

    ReplyDelete

 

Budget Plannerfrom Mint.com